Friday, January 16, 2009

Serenity Now

I can't believe that I forgot my camera today! The photo above will have to suffice. While gorgeous in its own right and typical of the beauty of my daily surroundings, what I saw today makes this landscape seem run of the mill. Unfortunately I knew that if I turned to make the five minute slog back up the deeply snow covered hill behind me, by the time I returned the vision before me would be lost. So, my description, hastily written with a pen miraculously discovered in my pocket on the insides of a dog treat bag I ripped open to serve the purpose, will have to suffice.

The orb of the just setting sun is being ever so slowly absorbed by the brace of heavy winter storm sky rising from the invisible mountains across the bay. A frozen mist floats, still hanging in the inbetween with the slight sound of the lapping waves beneath the frozen landscape. My beautiful black dog catches my eye, lying in a state of snow covered ecstasy in the middle of the vast white stillness.

When I stare long enough I am reminded that the mist isn't actually frozen, I can see the tendrils drift off into invisibility like spirits into the ether. They rise as separate beings and seem to reach out to join their wispy hand to one another as they disappear.

This is where I live and yes it's bone-chillingly freezing and yes winter is long and yes it's isolated at times but just now I'm reminded that I am the luckiest person I know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment