Wednesday, March 25, 2009

For the Love of Simple Yumminess

This is simply the best Oatmeal Cookie recipe. Every time I make them I am amazed yet again by how perfectly wonderful they are. The recipe leaves itself open for you to add any ingredients you enjoy but I have to say that I like them best plain and uncomplicated.

I love a good cookie and I have many recipes in the repertoire but this is the one I return to most often.

p.s. It is also the yummiest dough for eating raw...if you're into that kind of thing. If not just pretend I never mentioned it. Thank you.

Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup Crisco shortening
2 cups packed brown sugar (I prefer light brown, dark brown is yummy too, but a very sweet variation)
2 eggs (room temp.)
1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla (original recipe calls for 1 tsp. but I really like vanilla!)
2 and 1/4 cups sifted flour
1 and 1/2 tsp. salt (again original recipe calls for 1 tsp. but I add more. I think it adds more flavour and depth to the cookie)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at ta time, beating after each. Add vanilla and sifted flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Add oats and mix. Make tablespoon sized cookies, flatten with fork. Bake for 10 mins.

Be sure to observe the details like sifting, they make a huge difference to the end result.

0 comments:

Post a Comment