Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Worth the Wait

In Grade 10 I took a photography class. I had to fulfill an arts requirement and given that paint-by-numbers is about the extent of my artistic skill, I figured photography was my best bet. I expected to get through the class quietly and hopefully without embarrassing myself totally. What I didn't expect was how much I would enjoy it and develop a passion for it.

The problem at that point was that photography was an expensive hobby and of course, since we were still shooting with film, it required a darkroom. So in the (many) years since my intro photog. class my passion wained some. I thought I had pretty much forgotten how much I loved snapping pictures of my surroundings.

And then I started blogging. Blogging meant taking pictures again and then I discovered the beauty of photoshop and how much easier it is to develop and manipulate your own pictures at home. I've been shooting with a point and shoot to this point and I knew I wanted to move up to a DSLR but I figured I'd wait a while to make the investment.

Then two weeks ago I dropped the camera in Georgian Bay. Interestingly, I was in pursuit of a 50 cent tennis ball that Dolan left out on the thinning ice when the $200 camera slipped out my pocket and disappeared through the ice.

Logic - also not one of my strongest suits.

The point of all this is that 15 years after I first consciously thought about my surroundings through the lens of a camera I am now the proud owner of a DSLR...and man am I excited!

So, here are a few shots from my first weekend of camera ownership. Learning the ins and outs of my new-baby is half the fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment