Saturday, February 14, 2009

Turning my Back on Store Bought Spiciness


Well, I made my tandoori/butter chicken again, this time with a homemade garam masala spice mix and it was a million times better! I love to have control of my ingredients and the interpretation of the recipe and making my own spices allowed that. I'll never go back to store bought!

Give it a try, it's well worth the effort!

Garam Masala

4 tbsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tbsp. black peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
3/4 tsp. cardamom
3/4 tsp. cloves
2 (1 inch) cinnamon sticks
3/4 tsp. crushed bay leaves
1 tsp. nutmeg (this is my addition...just 'cause I like cinnamon)

Toast all the spices slowly except the ginger in a skillet, stirring often, until they turn a few shades darker. Do not try to toast them too quickly or you will burn their outsides!
Cool the spices, add the ginger to the mix and grind the spices together.
Most importantly...play with with this mixture. I know I've got it right when it just smells like yummy goodness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment